Sunday 16 December 2012

Foraging For Natural Christmas Decorations For Handmade Monday

Red Chillies Strung For Drying


I am still super busy with Christmas orders as well as making pressies for my own nearest and dearest, but seeing as I can't really show them to you without spoiling surprises I thought I'd do something a little different for this Handmade Monday post.

I'd like to share some of the nature inspired Christmas decorations I've been working on here and there this week. I love binging the beauty of the natural world into my home and what better time to go to town with this than Christmas!


Chillies - Edible Decorations


The red chillies at the top of the page are some I strung for drying yesterday. All you need is a needle and thread (and some chillies of course!) String them through the base of the chillies and hang somewhere warm to dry - the perfect Christmas decoration or gift that you can then eat during the year :)


Clove Studded Oranges - The Smell Of Christmas




Mmmmmm.. I love the smells of Christmas... pine needles, brandy, spices, log fires... and oranges of course (the traditional Christmas stocking staple!) Last night my other half was busy studding oranges with cloves - not only do they now look very pretty in various locations around the house but they smell gorgeous too!


Teasel - Sculptural Beauty




I love teasel, its such an elegant plant that always catches my eye when i'm out walking. Here's one I photographed in the spring looking green and lush and lovely (doesn't that seem so long ago!)

Here's how it looks now...






...a faded beauty... dry, brown, and perfectly ready for decorating the house with!

This morning I whipped the ever faithful white acrylic paint out and gave some of the stems we've collected a wintery 'snow kissed' look.




I'm not completely sure where they're going to go yet... I did intend to include then in a vase of other dried stems but now i'm rather tempted just to tie them with red ribbon and let them shine alone :)





Holly Hunting




This afternoon my other half and I, dogs in tow, went off on an expedition to gather a Christmas decorating classic - holly. We are lucky enough to have woodland nearby where holly is abundant...



 ...we were still careful not to take too much from one bush though! It is harder to find some with berries... I spotted this little bunch a while ago but haven't been able to relocate it...


Oh well, we still got some lovely glossy green leaves to decorate the house (and the table on Christmas day!)





Frosted Web



The last thing I wanted to share with you is this beautiful frosted spider's web I spotted in the garden during the cold snap we've had this week. Not a Christmas decoration as such, but still a wintery beauty.


Handmade Monday


I know this is the last Handmade Monday linky party of 2012 (visit Handmade Harbour today for more super crafting!). So, to all those who may not get the chance to pop back to my blog before the new year, I wish you a hearty merriest of Christmases :) See you again in 2013, I will have LOTS to show you!!

For those of you with spare moments on the final Christmas run up, I will likely be posting same time same place next week - as always, it will be lovely to see you :)

Thanks for dropping by!

28 comments:

  1. OOo I love the redness of the chilli's very festive. It is amazing what nature provides us with at this time of year isn't it? I may well have to have a go at those oranges as I love the smell they make :) Happy Christmas to you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are festive aren't they!

      I recommend the oranges - they look so pretty as well as smelling good :) x

      Delete
  2. I love clove studded oranges, and the smell is just divine!

    I too noticed the frosted spiderwebs - it's a shame incy wincy didn't make it through the night but the webs looked so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are beautiful aren't they! Not an easy time of year for spiders though... except those that have taken refuge in the house! :)

      Delete
  3. Don't frosted spider webs look so lovely. The teasles painted white is an inspired idea. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post. The spider webs are beautiful. I wonder what spiders do in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!

      I think they live under out beds :) x

      Delete
  5. What gorgeous decorations. I love understated natural decorations, much nicer than gaudy flashing lights!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember my children decorating oranges with cloves in them at school, when they were younger...they do smell gorgeous!

    I really love some of your photo's, the painted teasel and frosted spider web are beautiful.

    Have a great Christmas x.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do smell fab don't they :)

      I'm glad you like my photos, thank you!

      Wishing you a very Merry Christmas too x

      Delete
  7. Really beautiful decorations and such vibrant colours. I hope you have a very happy Christmas and look forward to 'seeing' you in the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've inspired me to get some cloves and oranges. I also like to bring the outdoors inside at the holidays. I'll see if I can snip a bit off my holly and enjoy it on the kitchen windowsill. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad i've inspired you :)

      Merry Christmas! x

      Delete
  9. Fantastic pictures, nature is so magical

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous decorations from nature. I really like how the teasel looks once you painted it. Have a lovely week (no doubt busy).
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ali!!

      I love the teasel too, one of my favourite natural beauties :) x

      Delete
  11. I love teasels, they are a great shape and look lovely both in that lush spring green and the brown. I like the sprinkling of white too.
    Christmas smells are lovely, my favourites are spiced apple, mulled wine and cinnamon. I've been known to put a pan of mulled spiced wine on the stove with no intention of drinking it. :)

    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan! They are so pretty aren't they :)

      Oooo i love all of those smells too! We had some mulled wine this week and it does fill the house with such a gorgeous aroma doesn't it :) x

      Delete
  12. What beautiful decorations & gifts! I love the smell of the christingle oranges too - they're gorgeous! Have you seen the You Tube video showing how to make a candle from an orange? I think it was done by Apartment Therapy. The smell is immense and they're really easy to make! Have a wonderful Christmas :-) Simmi x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simmi! I never knew they were called christingle oranges, i love that :)

      Orange candles sound gorgeous, i will hunt out that video, thank you! x

      Delete
  13. I must get some cloves to go with the oranges. The cobweb looks amazing. We will be going out 'holly hunting' in the next few days too. Have a wonderful, peaceful Christmas.
    Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy :)

      Have fun on your holly hunt! x

      Delete
  14. What lovely, natural ideas. Have a great Christmas and see you in the New Year on Handmade Monday, Jo x

    ReplyDelete

Your lovely comments are much appreciated x